Do You Need Flood Damage Help in Monroe?
SERVPRO is Here for Monroe Residents Whatever the Weather
Monroe is a bustling town of 48,815 residents that has a long and exciting history. The town was formerly known as Fort Miro but adopted the name Monroe in honor of a steamship. The steam-powered paddle-wheeler James Monroe sailed into the town in the first half of the nineteenth century and changed its fortunes. This event was so striking in the residents' minds that they changed the town's name in honor of it. Today you can see a mural of James Monroe at the entrance to the community library.
Monroe is also the place where coca-cola was first bottled – before that, shop staff had to mix the drink individually at the fountain.
If you visit Monroe, you will be delighted by the wide range of things to see and do. The city is big enough to have all the amenities you need but small enough to explore easily. Popular attractions include:
- Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo, where you can view over 500 animals. This crowd-pleaser is popular with families. Kids will relish the chance to get up close and personal with kangaroos, hippos, swans, peacocks, and much more. There is a boat ride to take you to the exhibits that you won't see from the footpaths, including the primate exhibit.
- Northeast Louisiana Children's Museum gives kids the chance to get hands-on with history. They can learn about the White House, role play as a secret service agent, learn what it is like to work as a chef, be a doctor in the hospital, and much more.
- Biedenharn Museum and Gardens is a beautiful historic home from 1913. It was the home of Joseph Biedenharm, who gets credit as the first man to bottle Coca Cola. The house includes a Coca Cola museum full of memorabilia, and next door, you will find a museum of bibles and a stunning garden known as the Leong Garden.
- Northeast Louisiana Delta African American Heritage Museum is a small museum built-in 1984 to celebrate African-American heritage in the area. The museum focuses primarily on local artists and often exhibits their work, in addition to running a year-round program of educational events.
If you want to do some shopping while you are in Monroe, be sure to stop by Pecanland Mall. The mall features six anchor stores: Dick's Sporting Goods, Belk, Dillard's, JCPenney, Stein Mart, and Burlington Coat Factory.
There is also a nice large food court, and a ten screen cinema, for when you need to get some refreshment and take the weight off your feet.
Flood Damage is a Real Risk in Monroe
Residents of Monroe know how deadly storms can be. In 2020, a rain-wrapped tornado touched down in Monroe and caused extensive damage:
- Decimated twenty-three homes
- Caused extensive damage to an art museum
- Destroyed a metal hangar at the airport
- Snapped trees and closed roads
In the aftermath of a storm, SERVPRO is here to help. We offer swift remediation, including securing your home and evacuating water, drying your home and your belongings, and spot-cleaning damaged upholstery. Our teams do not leave until restoration is complete - "Like it never even happened."
If you need swift flood damage restoration, call SERVPRO of Monroe / West Monroe at (318) 345-5121.